Mani Our villages and their history Family history Family tree Picture gallery Historical Stories Guest book Contact

Our villages and their history

AGIA KYRIAKI ÍÏÌÉÁ KONAKIA - STROTZA(PROSILIO) PYLOS SKYFIANIKA KARYOUPOLI - SKAMNAKI KALLIAZI

KARYOUPOLI - SKAMNAKI

           Karyoupolis, is a traditional village with 160 inhabitants, located on a fortified hill not away from Gytheio.
The old Karyoupoli is located on a forest hill west of the village and was developed during the 15th century, when the medieval city was an important Byzantine centre in Mani. Konstantinos Palaiologos, the last Byzantine Emperor, had a Byzantine garrison at Karyoupolis' Castle. There was also an Episcopal see, but the village declined after the fall of Mystras.
           On the top of the hill there is the imposing fortress of Kavallieraki - Fokas, which prevented the passage to Mani and consists of two main buildings with arched gates, battlements and enclosures.
           Today we distinguish a part of the imposing tower with stones and on the NW an impressive rectangular building with battlements which was the building where the Bishop resided. Outside the castle there are traces of buildings, tombs, cisterns, quarries, etc. On the north side we find the churches of St. George and St. Nicholas of the 13th century.
(Source:http://www.mani.org.gr/horia/dgithiou/karioupoli/karioupoli.htm    http://www.mani.org.gr/horia/dgithiou/skamnaki/skamnaki.htm)

          A small branch of the Patsourakos family from Skamnaki, which is located near Konakia, was installed in Karyoupolis and Neohorio (a nearby village) around 1500. They remained until about the mid-17th century and then moved back to Skamnaki. At the end of the 19th century this branch of our family, leaving no descendants, disappeared from the area
          Our relatives residing currently in Thessaly come from the villages of Karyoupolis and Neochorio. Their ancestor of Ioannis Dimitriou Patsourakos migrated to Thessaly in the early 20th century to work in the construction of the railroad and settled in the village of Stavros near Farsala.